Thursday, February 11, 2010

Arsenal 1 - 0 Liverpool: What Is This Strange Feeling?

Diaby! (Diaby!) Diaby! (Diaby!) Pic via Guardian.

Arsenal 1: Diaby 72
Liverpool 0

Well, this is a feeling I haven't felt in a while. Arsenal came out of a game with all three points! But, let's not kid ourselves, this game was incredibly ugly. As it's getting late, I'll keep this recap short:
  • For a fan that can be as cynical as I can, much of this game was hilarious.
  • I'm sorry, did two separate Arsenal players completely fall over the ball while not even being challenged? The answer is yes.
  • I wanted to tear my hair out at least ten times today.
  • Skrtel? N'Gog? We decided that Liverpool's squad is largely composed of Pokemon.
  • Arsenal's goal came off a fairly un-Arsenal series of plays, with Diaby's header coming off a Rosicky cross.
  • Looking for an insurance goal afterward? Bendtner was replaced by Sagna, slipping Arsenal back into their 4-6-0 nonsense formation.
  • Speaking of Bendtner, that was, in fact, a dive worthy of the Olympics.
  • Said another Gooner at Nevada Smith's after that comment from me: "Yeah, on a team of synchronized swimmers."
  • I thought Manuel Almunia had an alright game. I'm preparing for the apocalypse.
  • Tom Vermaelen had a black eye. We assumed the entire team got into a brawl last night. Amongst themselves. Arshavin was making faces in the corner.
  • Having not noticed that Samir Nasri took a knock to the head (and eventually left with a mild concussion), Max and I noticed that he looked incredibly hungover.
  • Very little of this has had anything to do with the game, because it was that kind of game. Brutal to watch unless you're adept at being sarcastic.
  • Which I'm conveniently great at!
And now, a week off, thanks to our graceful exit from the FA Cup, then it's off to Portugal for the Champions League next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment