Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chants For the 21st Century

Ever since I saw his name, Mr. Theo Walcott has held a special place in my heart. For those who don't know, the eldest of Hipster Gooners, yours truly, was never really a sports guy. For me, the introduction to the Gooners came in a number of different ways: an epic late night where I didn't sleep and saw Arsenal trounce Everton in a drunken/sleepy haze, the chants flying around Nevada Smiths that were music to my notice ears and, of course that moment in mid-October when I first saw the name Theo Walcott. Now, may semantic love affair with Mr. Walcott's surname comes from my admittedly hipster background. Educated at private school and Columbia University, the Ivy League and those Prep Rockers Vampire Weekend were no strangers to me. In fact, I took many classes with Ezra, Rostam and Chris.

So, with my own music major background bristling, I got hooked on trying to find a way to link the two together. What were the two you ask? Well, I answer, Theo Walcott and the song Walcott by those fine Columbia fellows.

The lyrics I bandied about never quite came out right... Things like:

"Walcott/Don't you know that you're Insane/Please just score. Please just score tonight!"

And don't get me started with my attempts at other hipster chants. Passion Pit's Sleepyhead never quite went right when I tried to turn it into Clichyhead and MGMT's Electric Feel is not the best song to try to sing about Emirates stadium in my own rendition of Emirates Field. And so I was ready to give up on my chant making. I just didn't have the chops.

Then I realized, that in order to make a chant for Arsenal, you need to find those musicians who loved Arsenal. Maybe they are just imbued with appreciation for the team and that would work into every aspect of their songs. With the help of my friend Jacob, I scoured the web until we found him:

Now notice the colors of choice by Mr. Mercury. Despite the fact that his #1 team was Barcelona, when it came to the Brits, he was all about the Arsenal and he clearly favored the Red & White ensemble, if not the Red & White army. Various internet searches seemed to confirm my suspicions about the leading man. So, after this, Jacob and I spent some time devising and sculpting the perfect addictive chant for the 21st century based on this 20th century superstar. Here is the best we got, done to the tune of Bicycle, of course:

"Arsenal! Arsenal!
I like to watch the Arsenal! I like to watch my team!
I like to watch the Arsenal! A win would be my dream!"

We think, while still rough around the edges, it's pretty darn good... Now I just have to start refining my Walcott chant!

Meanwhile, if you have any chants you are itching to launch about our favorite team via Hipster Gooner, just let us know. We'll throw them out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment