Monday, March 15, 2010

Andrei Arshavin: Dimunitive Genius


Andrei Arshavin's footballing brilliance was clear to see on Saturday, as he somehow wove through two defenders and scored Arsenal's opening goal. His talents, however, do not stop there. Most interviews with footballers are a dull affair, but Andrei is not most footballers. The Times revealed his love of the opera and the ballet and yielded some interesting soundbites:

“You are doing this to the team [he stamps his foot on the floor]. Everyone wants England to become world champions, but you are destroying them at the same time. Give it a few more weeks and they will put a camera in a footballer’s pants in order to get a story. I think you should leave your stars alone and give them the freedom to be human.”

Arshavin obviously has a lot to say, and his official website (www.arshavin.eu) includes a section where he plays agony aunt to readers' questions and also a blog. The advise dispensed errs on the esoteric side of things:

Hi, Andrey, in what order would you place the following animals: a tiger, a cow, a pig, a horse, a sheep?
Arshavin
: A pig - it will always get the last place! A tiger, a cow, a horse, a sheep. And I’ll repeat that a pig is always the last one, because it is a pig.


Unfortunately for those unable to speak Russian, the blog is currently untranslated. However, just like an overdue school language assignment, with the assistance of Google Translate we shall try to bring you a selection of Arshavin's thoughts:

On the English reaction to snow:
About snowfall in England? It's a little unusual to see the British, who find the snow a big problem, talk and talk only about this. Because of this they have great difficulty with driving, as snow tires are not for sale. On the TV every hour are special news releases about the amount of snowfall and road conditions. On the other hand, I liked it when the snow falls in the evening or at night. Seeing the snow falling at night, I was sure, in the morning I would sit behind the wheel and not come across any traffic jams on the road:) I told the British that if this happened in Russia, and we all had the same reaction, the life of Russians would not exist for 6 months. Perhaps they wonder how we live and work, when the thermometer far beyond minus 20.

On the cultural life of London:
During this time, managed to visit with the family the musical "Chicago", did a lot of walking around the city, and yesterday visited the Cirque de Soleil, which the children liked, but it was more like a play, costume show. Arena something similar to our Circus, but in the presentation were not involved animals.

On blogging:
I was reminded that I have not updated my blog recently. I Agree. I know that many people are interested in my being.

It comes time to write a few lines in my, for a time abandoned diary, or as they say - "blog".

On the ban of seal slaughter:
Today I was told that for the first time Russia has completely banned the slaughter of seal pups, newborn Whitecoat and grown up. When myself and Yulia supported this action, we did not expect that the result be reached so soon. I was pleasantly surprised at the speed of this decision.

On English tea:
If we talk about new habits, which appeared in England, I do not cease to admire the English tea. Of course, I have heard and read about British tea, but now, having lived in this country, I truly am able to appreciate all its merits.

On playing tennis with his wife:
On the game: the enemy in the person of my wife, was far below my class ;) Although, in some places Julia showed character and fighting spirit.

1 comment: